Looking for a fun zero-waste gift? Try a vintage board game! Check out our list of 18 fun and favorite classic board games.
We’ve always played a lot of board games in our household. And heading into winter, I’m pretty certain we’ll be playing a lot of classic board games.
While we are huge fans of strategic games, we also really enjoy classic board games. Here are a few reasons to dust off your copy of Clue or Candyland.
- Since classic board games have been around for a few years, they are super easy to pick up secondhand. Perfect for a zero-waste gift.
- Una’s 4.5 years younger than Max… so playing a less competitive board game is a good thing.
- Variety is the spice of life! There are so many types of classic board games, that you’re sure to find one you’ll enjoy.
- Bored with your games? Share them with your neighbors and friends!
Types of classic board games
Rather than create a huge list of all our favorite classic games, here they are broken down by type.
Quick and cheerful
Looking for a game to play with your niece or nephew? Here are a few quick and cheerful games that are perfect for a rainy afternoon. Just turn off your brain, put on some music, and relax.
- Life was my favorite game as an 8-year-old
- Any game based on a tv show, movie, or cultural icon. (We owned Happy Days and The McDonald’s board games when I was a kid).
Not a sit still and push pieces around the board sort of person? Here are a few active games that will get you moving:
Vitamins and Minerals
Looking for an educational game? Whether you’re trying to keep your brain young or get the kids learning on the weekend, here are a few games for you.
- Chinese Checkers
- Trivial Pursuit
- Rummikub is still one of my favorite games of all time!
Epic board games are the sort that lasts for at least a few hours… if not days. I’ll admit that I’m not a huge fan of these games because growing up my family wouldn’t take prisoners… even if you were way younger than everyone else.
- Monopoly (we have the Brisbane version from one of Brad’s sisters)