I feel like we all could use a piece of chocolate cake right now. In particular, a piece of orange and chocolate almond cake! Rich and indulgent. Traditionally gluten-free. It is one of my favorite cake recipes!
Grain-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, this is a cake that everyone in my food-sensitive family can enjoy together. It’s based on a traditional Italian almond cake… with the delicious addition of chocolate!
This cake is incredibly easy to make. Probably the most difficult part is planning ahead so you have time to boil the oranges. But other than that it really only requires about 10 minutes in the kitchen… so it’s perfect for anyone who is working from home.
I’m not really a sweet tooth… so this cake isn’t overly sweet. It is incredibly rich, chocolaty, and delicious.
Here are a few serving suggestions that will either help sweeten the cake or complement the rich flavor of chocolate:
- To add a bit more sweetness, serve with a dusting of icing sugar.
- Make a simple glaze by heating up 2 Tbsp of apricot jam in the microwave, then brush it on top of the cake.
- Serve with whipping cream to balance the earthy flavor of chocolate.
- For a classic combination, serve this cake warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 1 small thin-skinned oranges (organic is best)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 3/4 cup ground almond,
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Wash the orange, then place the whole orange in a pot of water. Bring the pot to a boil then simmer for 1 hour. The orange should be very soft.
- Drain the water from the pot, and allow the orange to cool for at least 1 hour.
- When you’re ready to bake the cake, cut the orange in half and remove all the seeds.
- Place the orange in a blender or a food processor (skin and all). The entire orange is going to be pureed into the cake.
- Add in the eggs and honey to provide liquid to help with pureeing the orange.
- Then add in the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Continue to pulse until everything is well mixed.
- Grease a 6-inch cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Pour in the cake mixture.
- Bake at 400F for 35 minutes. You may want to cover the cake with tinfoil halfway through to prevent the top from crisping. The cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean. It will be moist, but firmly set.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 6g