I’ll admit that this pie isn’t so much Tex-Mex as 1980’s Canadiana comfort food that my mom would serve as a week-night meal.
Having searched for something similar on the internet, I was unable to find anything like it. So I asked my mom for the recipe on a recent family video chat, and my sister also remembered the dish with fondness.
It’s the refried bean crust that is both unique and particularly delicious. My mom had originally clipped the recipe out of a newspaper or magazine. So she no longer knew exactly how it was made beyond a combination of refried beans and Bisquick. Her version of the pie was topped with slices of avocado, which my sister firmly suggested I switch for guacamole on the side.
Inspired by our conversation, I created my own version of the Tex-Mex pie with a refried bean crust. The result is a quick, easy and delicious comfort food casserole. Like all my dishes, I used gluten-free flour. However, my sister has tested it with all-purpose flour and it was delicious!
This Tex-Mex pie can be filled with your favourite taco fillings. My mother always used a ground beef taco filling made with a seasoning package. However, we’re more of a tofu taco-filling sort of family. Really all that matters is the crust. It’s so good.
Refried Bean Crust
- 1 can of refried beans
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of flour (all-purpose or gluten-free)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Start by preheating the oven to 375 F.
- Mix together the can of beans and the egg in a large bowl.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder.
- Grease a pie plate, then spread the mixture evenly in the pie plate to make a crust.
- Approx. 1 1/2 cups of taco filling (vegetarian or beef)
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red or green pepper, chopped
- 1 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- Optional additions: 2 tbsp sliced black olives or pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- Prepare all of the fillings.
- Build the pie by spreading out the taco filling. Then top it with onion, pepper and tomatoes. Cover with the grated cheese.
- Bake the pie for 30 minutes, until the crust is set and the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot and fresh from the oven with guacamole, salsa and sour cream.